Jared is reading Atlas Shrugged (the longest book written in any European language) so he can write an essay and hopefully win a scholarship of up to $10,000. CROSS YOUR FINGERS! While he was here we went to the Rockefeller Center to see the statue that was erected in honor of this book. If you are interested in what the book is about, ask Jared. It is very complicated but well worth $10,000!


This one is at Saint Patrick's Cathedral in Midtown.
2 comments:
Atlas Shrugged is huge, but it's not the longest/largest novel, much less book, written in any European language. ;)
Still, very impressive that he's taking it on. It's quite dense. The author didn't waste any words or use any fillers to achieve such an incredible work. I tried to read it in high school but gave up because I didn't have time for it. Maybe it's time to try again...
- Jon
Ah, you are right Jon - it isn't the longest novel. However, after doing a bit of research I discovered a few interesting facts. I went to wikipedia where there is a list of lengthy novels. It wasn't easy reading, so I added the chart at the bottom. Atlas Shrugged is the 11th on the list, BUT if you take into account that the longest book is a farce (it also claims the longest book title at 6,700 words, the longest sentence at 3 million words, and the longest word at 4.4 million letters) and 6 of the longer novels are split into multiple volumes, there are only 3 novels longer. The second longest book (9 million words) is the only one that each volume is longer than Atlas, the rest are shorter.
So the verdict is that Atlas Shrugged is the third longest single volume novel written in English. (But its longer than War and Peace and Les Miserables!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_novels#Longest_novels_in_Latin_or_Cyrillic_alphabets
Post a Comment